Swift Transportation — Hauling Freight Over 2 BILLION Miles Each Year
Swift Transportation is the largest truckload carrier in the US, equipped with a young fleet — 92% are less than 5 years old — of over 17,000 Volvo and Freightliner tractors. Established by Jerry Moyes with his father in 1966, the company initially hauled imported steel from ports in California to Arizona, then returning with Arizona cotton for delivery to California.
In its more than 45 years in the hauling business, Swift Transportation has soared past an industry milestone — its trucks have carried cargo over a total of more than two billion miles each year. The company employs some 22,000 professionals, of which roughly 17,000 are skilled drivers. The company is currently valued at roughly $1.66 billion in the fluctuating stock market.
Swift Transportation Services Overview
The company offers its services in the following lines of business:
• Dry Van — used for general cargo, including food and other products that do not require refrigeration. This is available for long- or short-haul, expedited team service. Its backbone is the company’s 48,000 trailers that haul cargo through a network of over 40 terminals across North America. Swift Transportation’s service also includes advanced GPS trailer tracking and a company-developed planning and reporting software.
• Dedicated — offered to clients who want customized service and a dedicated fleet. This arrangement allows for flexibility, predictability of cost management, client-specific services (such as having the client’s logo on the trailers, same team of drivers on regular routes, etc.). This service also ensures compatibility with specifications and qualifications such as Haz-Mat, Canadian legal, doubles and triples endorsements, and other special permits. Swift Transportation currently operates over 100 dedicated fleets each day.
• Intermodal — Swift offers its 48,000 trailers for combined rail-truck trailer on flat car intermodal service to any point in North America (including Canada and Mexico). The company has 53 foot container capable of being transported on rails, all equipped with a tracking system. Swift Transportation can help clients design the optimal route for their cargo, hauling it on different forms of transportation such as truck/rail/ship.
• Temperature Controlled — The company maintains one of the largest fleet of reefers in the country, capable of carrying any type of temperature-sensitive cargo for delivery to almost anywhere in North America. It has over 2,000 temperature controlled units in operation, serving heavy movers and smaller, one of a kind customers alike.
• Flatbed — is a trailer with no enclosure or doors, suitable for extra-weight and over-dimensional loads. The company has more than 475 dedicated tractors and over 1300 dedicated trailers, complete with accessories like full tarp drops, chains and binders, V-boards, nylon straps, chain protectors, chocks, side kits, and coil accessories. Flatbeds are also available for dedicated fleet service.
• Container Service — Swift Transportation is the largest truckload operator servicing the California Ports. The company offers solutions to local drayage, coast-to-coast service, or international shipping to Mexico. It is supported by best of the class equipment and the company’s network of terminals. Swift offers door-to-door delivery.
• Heavy Haul — served by more than 550 units in a variety of unique trailer configurations. Swift Transportation provides hauling for many commodities, including paper products and beverages. Its equipment consists of doubles trailers, quad-axle dry vans, and tri-axle reefers.
• Convention Services — offers logistics support for tradeshows, conventions, meetings, etc.
• Trans-Mex — offers shipping to and from Mexico, the only Mexican carrier that is 100% owned by a US carrier. It can haul high-value and hazmat freight within Mexico, and is supported by a fully bilingual staff on both sides of the border. It also offers customs brokerage services.
• Swift Solutions — is the brokerage division of the company, offering its products to the 3rd-party community. Swift Transportation introduces modal flexibility to help its clients bring their products to the market.